Friday, September 25, 2015

Getting Old Is The Pits

As a person ages various physical and mental skills begin their demise. It's inevitable and most of us know it, yet when a something leaves, we are surprised.For me it's important. Years ago I was assured that I did not have Alzheimer's Disease, but just short term memory loss caused by early onset dementia. Okay. I accepted that without questioning. When I was in my middle seventies it sounded reasonable. 

Now, that I'm almost eighty I need to think again. I not only forget my short term memories, but now other strange things are happening. For example, while bored watching television I'm liable to drift off to random and unconnected thoughts. Sometimes, my wife says, it is like I'm dreaming and talking out loud to someone else. Interestingly, when I wake up I have absolutely no knowledge or recollection about it. Not a clue. When I'm dozing or terminally bored by a book I am reading, I am aware that my mind is slipping off to doze. I am not aware of anything further going through my brain. Why is this?


When I wake I may have been talking about some strange episode, friends or strangers. My wife tries to catch names and places but finds it difficult. When she is able to piece together what or who I was discussing, I have no recollection at all. I'm worried that my "early onset dementia" and memory loss has grown to be Alzheimers. It bothers me a little. 


My ultimate fear is that I might advance to be useless and a burden to someone else. I have a vision of some stranger feeding me and medicating me just to keep me alive. It hThe PitsI will not let it happen to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment